9 TH ANNUAL BARENTS ECOLOGY FILM FESTIVAL
FINAL DEADLINE IS 1 July, 2019
9th International noncommercial Barents Ecological Film Festival (BEFF 2019) will be held in Petrozavodsk (Russia) and Joensuu (Finland) from 21st September to 29th September 2019.
Through the Festival ecological and social issues will be raised. Festival movies will show immense territories of our planet and mostly fascinating places, share their greatest innovations in the field of ecological technologies.
Festival unites environmentalists and directors, who make movies about environment, raise questions of ecology and suggest positive decisions. Every year BEFF gets over 2000 applications from all over the world, including Asia, Latin America, Scandinavia and Russia. International contest programme annually consists of 30 movies.
Contest will be held in 9 nominations:
Non-fiction length film
Nature and indigenous people
Science documentary and fiction
Russian and world-wide premieres are planned to be shown during the Festival. BEFF is not only the newest ecological cinematography, but the whole spectrum of activities: exhibitions and art-projects. Festival is going to be a place for meetings, discussions, lectures and workshops. Moreover, two Foresights-sessions will be held – ‘Cinematography’ and ‘sustainable development technology ’.
Each year, we select 10 Feature Films, 30 Short Films to play in each of our Festival programs. However, you may not submit your film directly to any one specific program. Instead, you must select from one of six submission categories, listed below:
Instructions for film submission
1. The film’s subject matter, the production itself or the film’s director should have a strong connection to ecological topic, environmental, environmentally friendly technologies, urban, road movie, nature and minority people, protection of nature.
2. Screenings formats are films delivered as files (in DV or HD quality).
3. The film should be finalised during the last years ( 2018-2019).
- There will be competition of movie:
- Fiction-length films
- Non-fiction length film
- Short Fiction
- Short Documentary
- Films of more than 50 minutes can be considered for the festival’s film programs:
- Feature-length films: Fiction film with a running time of 50 minutes or more.
- Documentary: Any non-fiction film with a running time of 50 minutes or more.
- Only films of less than 49 minutes will be considered for Short Film Program.
- Short Fiction
- Short Documentary
- VIRTUAL REALITY PROJECTS: Submissions in this category are eligible to be selected for the Festival’s New Frontier VR Showcase. We encourage the diverse creative community of storytellers and technologists to submit inventive, independently produced works of fiction, documentary, and interactive Virtual Reality projects for consideration. Projects must be viewable via one of our accepted VR platforms (currently limited to Oculus Rift, HTC Vive, Playstation VR, Samsung Gear VR, Google Daydream, or Google Cardboard). We request that you provide a link to a 360° video file (.mp4), app download package (.apk), or other PC installation package. Additionally, we request that you provide a separate 2D version of the project via Filmfreeway system.
- International Films that have been or will be exhibited publicly at one or more non-festival screenings in Russia, broadcast or streamed on Russian TV or the Internet before October 10th, 2019 are not eligible for any of the Institute’s Festival programs.
- Screening copies must have English subtitles (and Russian subtitles even better), unless they are in English Selections will be made by the festival’s administration. Decisions of refusal will not be commented. Preview copies will not be returned.
- Films can be shown out of competition for special screen program
1. Submissions are done with application form https://filmfreeway.com/BarentsEcologyFilmFestival
The form must be submitted by July 1st, 2019
2. Preview copies must be sent to us by July 1st, 2019. If the film is not complete, a temporary version can be sent instead upon agreement with the festival.
3. The selection will be announced by August 1st, 2019.
4. Screening copies should be sent to us before festival starts.
Please note that submission fees contribute towards the administrative duties carried out by our festival team and previewing panel. These fees are essential to the sustainability of our festival and therefore we are unable to offer waivers.